Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Which story should I work on today....

          I think one of the biggest problems I have with my writing is deciding which story or other piece of writing I want to work on. Right now, I have two ideas developed for stories (which will eventually turn into novels) that I want to write. But every time I pick up one and start to work on it, I'll think of something else or something will remind me, and then I'll want to work on the other story instead. As a result, I'm way behind on both of these stories, not nearly where I should be in writing them.

          Another problem I have with my writing (and I might've mentioned this in a different post) is that I'm way too critical of my own work. I have a lot of ideas developed for each of my stories- such as character names, things I want to have happen in the stories, and how I would like the characters to react to those things. But sometimes, I just don't know how to put that down on paper, or onto a document on my computer. I'll know pretty much exactly what I want my character to say, but as soon as I go to write it down, I'll think "does that sound good enough?" or "what about this instead..." and then I'll just become frustrated because nothing will get done! 

          I need to, I must, keep reminding myself that right now, I'm only on the drafts and planning stages, nothing needs to be perfect! There is still lots of time for revising, rewriting, and changing. Right now, what counts is just getting those thoughts out of my head and into words so I can get more done in my stories! 

          Instead of talking any more about how much these things can frustrate me.... I should go and get work done on my stories today. A page a day is better than no pages a day!

         To end this post, here are some entertaining writing memes that I came across on pinterest. I thought they were very accurate.






No comments:

Post a Comment